1916 Stone-Rose Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Located at Stone Rose Drive behind the K-Mart Plaza Shopping Center, the Cardinal Theatre was off Sunset Avenue near Wesleyan Boulevard just a mile down from the Tarrytown Mall. The Cardinal Theatre was Rocky Mount’s first-ever “Ultravision” theatre. The first for the town and the surrounding area. It was a modern theatre both inside and out complete with full lounge seating with full stereophonic sound throughout and giant Ultravision screening that was capable of showing both 70mm and 35mm films.
When it opened in 1972, it was a 750 seat single screen cinema operated under ABC Theatres. The opening attraction on November 2, 1972 was “The New Centurians” starring George C. Scott. By the mid-1970’s a second auditorium was built along side the original auditorium. Last operated by Carmike Cinemas in the 1990’s as a three screen cinema, it did constantly well showing some great films until it’s closing in 1999.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater