1021 10th Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Redwood Theatres Inc.
Firms: Reid Brothers
The Strand Theatre in Modesto opened December 10, 1920 with Douglas Fairbanks in “The Mark of Zorro” plus vaudeville on the stage. It was built at a cost of $250,000. The theatre had 1,800 seats, crystal chandeliers and murals in the lobby, rich carpets, a stage, orchestra pit, and a Wurlitzer pipe organ.
During its run, the Strand Theatre hosted silent films, vaudeville, plays, talkies, and community functions. Like so many of the downtown theatres, it slowly grew old and seedy. Last operated by Redwood Theatres, in 1971 the fire marshal closed the Strand Theatre. In July 1984, talk of restoration ended when a fire closed the Strand Theatre for good.
Overzealous urban renewal leveled most of downtown Modesto, including both the Stand Theatre and the nearby Covell Theatre. Currently, there is a brand new Brenden Theatres 18 where the Strand Theatre used to stand.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.