No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Associated British Cinemas Ltd.
Architects: William Riddell Glen
Previous Names: ABC
Located on Castle Circus at Castle Road in the seaside town of Torquay, Devon. The Regal Cinema was built for and operated by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain. It was opened on 31st July 1933.
It was designed by their in-house architect William R. Glen. It was built on a steep slope, and the entrance was at the lower end, closest to the town centre. The raked seating area in the stalls took advantage of this slope, and the screen was located at the entrance end of the building, meaning patrons entered from behind the screen. It must certainly have been the only Glen designed ABC cinema which was a ‘reverse’ cinema. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. The decorative scheme in the auditorium was in a semi-Atmospheric style, with scenes of local beauty spots painted in panels on the side-walls. The proscenium was 38ft wide. The cinema had a fully equipped 20ft wide stage and there were six dressing rooms. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. It was equipped with a Compton 3 manual 11 ranks organ which had an illuminated console situated on a lift. The organ was opened by organist Reginald Porter-Brown.
In the mid-1950’s the Regal Cinema was equipped with CinemaScope and the sound system was changed to one by RCA. It was re-named ABC in 1961. The stage was brought into use for the first time in the 1960’s when one night concerts by leading pop stars appeared here. In 1972 the Compton organ was sold and removed from the building. The ABC closed as a cinema on 24th May 1978, and was converted into a bingo club, which operated during the summer holiday seasons until 1986.
It was taken over by an independent operator and re-opened as the Regal Cinema on 14th August 1987, using seating in the circle only. This was a short lived venture, as the cinema closed for good in November 1987.
It was demolished in April 1989. An office block named Regal House was built on the site in 1995, which contains a Job Centre Plus.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.