14 St. Peter Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located on North Walls at Saint Peter Street, Winchester, Hampshire, and built on the site of an old school which dated from the 1880’s. The Regal Cinema was built for A.N. Kendall Ltd. and opened on 7th June 1933 with Renee Gadd in “Letting in the Sunshine”, with Renee Gadd appearing ‘in person’ on opening night.
The exterior of the building was in plain brick having no decoration, with only a large central window over the entrance. Inside the auditorium, seating was provided for 816 in the stalls and 316 in the circle. The decoration was in an Art Deco style, and organ chambers were on each side of the proscenium, but the Compton 3Manual/8Ranks organ wasn’t installed until 8th January 1934. The organ console had a unique illuminated ‘box’ design, and the instrument was opened by organist Geoffrey Keith. The Regal Cinema also had a cafe for the convenience of its patrons.
The Regal Cinema was taken over by the Oscar Deutsch chain Odeon Theatres Ltd. on 6th November 1935. It was re-named Odeon on 29th December 1935.
Taken over from the Rank Organision by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain on 3rd January 1971 and re-named Cinema, it was sold to Star Cinemas on 23rd August 1971. They sub-divided the cinema, creating a 500-seat Star Bingo Club in the former stalls and two screens in the former circle seating 107 & 112, and another in former cafe space seating 140, it re-opened on 16th March 1972 as Studios 1-2-3 with “Straw Dogs”, “Please Sir”, and “Song of Norway”.
In December 1985 it was taken over by the Cannon Group and re-named Cannon. In 1988, it was taken over by an independent operator and re-named Cinema from 26th January 1988, but this was short lived and the Cinema was closed on 26th January 1989 with “Who Framed Roger Rabbit”, “A Fish Named Wanda”, and “Moonraker”.
The entire building was demolished and a block of retirement home flats named Richard Moss House was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater