23 High Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the centre of Newport on the Isle of Wight, off the southern coast of England. Built on the site of the Medina Hall, which had opened by 1889, and by the 1920’s it was in use as a cinema. It was demolished in 1935.
The Medina Cinema was opened on 18th April 1936 with “George White’s Scandals” starring Alice Faye. Seating 1,000 in stalls and circle levels, the Medina Cinema had a fully equipped stage, which was well used. It also had a restaurant, located on the first floor.
It was divided into two spaces in 1966, with the former circle remaining as a cinema, and the former stalls became a bingo club. Taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain in October 1965, they renamed the cinema Studio 1. It was taken over by the Cannon Group in the mid-1980’s and it was re-named Cannon. The bingo club was closed in 1987.
Taken over by the Picturedrome chain of cinemas on 14th January 1994, it was re-named Picturedrome. The cinema was divided into two screens, one seating 577, the other 299.
The Picturedrome was closed on the 17th February 2000 when the new Cineworld multiplex opened. The final films screened were “House on Haunted Hill” and “American Beauty”. Work began in late-2001 to convert the former stalls (bingo) area into a Yates’s Wine Lodge pub. The upstairs screens were closed in late-2013.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater