2673 E. State Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Fremont Drive-In opened on June 29, 1946, featuring Betty Grable in “Pin Up Girl” along with color cartoons, news & shorts. The 500-car capacity drive-in was under the ownership of Fremont Drive-In Theatres Inc. This was started by Louis Mosser and sons, who also owned Mosser Construction Co. which built the drive-in. His sons William and Charles M,. Mosser acquired the construction company and other business interests in 1948 from their late-father Louis. In 1970, Charles M. Mosser sold the construction company. In 1971, Charles M. Mosser, who was president of the Fremont Drive-In Theatres Inc. died from cancer. His daughter Janet Sweeney, took over control of the Fremont Drive-In Theatres Inc. They also owned the Springhill Drive-In in Mansfield, OH.
Co-Operative Theatres were the booking and buying agency for the theatre in the beginning. Later on, the theatre was part of the Jack Armstrong Circuit and Robert Tilton Associates. In 1982, the Great Eastern Theatre Co. took over management of the Fremont Drive-In. On November 11, 1985, they bought it from Janet Sweeney and Fremont Drive-In Theatres Inc.
Due to the changing times and operating at a financial loss, Great Eastern decided not to reopen the drive-in for the 1990 season and mothballed it for a year to see what would happen in the drive-in theatre business. Unfortunately, it was never reopened and the Fremont Drive-In was demolished. The 11 acre property was sold on June 24, 1996, to build a truck and auto repair shop.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater