No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the centre of Aldershot at the corner of Station Road and Birkett Road. The Hippdrome Theatre was opened on 3rd February 1913 with a variety bill. Seating was provided for 449 in the orchestra stalls, 258 in the dress circle, 272 in the balcony, and there were 4 boxes each seating four persons. The proscenium was 24 feet wide, and the stage 30 feet deep. There were seven dressing rooms. By March 1914 Kinemacolour films were being screened as part of the vaiety programme.
Occasional cinema shows were held in the theatre into the late-1920’s. It was refurbished in 1931, and had a ‘Grand Re-Opening’ on 6th April 1931 with twice nightly cine-variety which included the screening of “Pathe Super Sound Gazette”.
The Hippodrome Theatre presented on its stage many famous artists, including; Florrie Ford, Gracie Fields, Harry Champion, Ella Shields, Tommy Fields, Arthur Lucan (as Old Mother Riley) with Kitty McShane, Tommy Trinder and Max Miller.
The Hippodrome Theatre was closed in the mid-1950’s, and was demolished in 1962. An office & retail building known as Hippodrome House was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater