No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Godalming, to the south of Guildford, Surrey. The Regal Cinema was opened by the County Cinemas chain on 2nd August 1935. It was designed in a Neo-Georgian style by architect Robert Cromie, with Art Deco style interior decorations by interior designers Mollo & Egan. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. The proscenium was 36 feet wide, and there was a small stage. The cinema had a car park for the convenience of its patrons.
The Regal Cinema was taken over by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. in September 1939. It was re-named Odeon on 7th May 1945.
It was one of a group of Rank Organisation cinemas that were taken over by the Classic Cinemas chain on 3rd December 1967, and was converted into a Classic Bingo Club from 18th January 1968. In 1971, the balcony was converted into the 280-seat Classic Cinema, with bingo continuing in the former stalls area.
It was later taken over by Mecca Leisure Ltd., and the cinema was re-named Mecca Cinema, with a Mecca Bingo club operating in the former stalls area. The Mecca Cinema was closed on 13th December 1975. The auditorium was reverted back to a single space, and continued as a Mecca Bingo Club. This later closed, and the building was demolished in February & March 1996. Housing was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater