Carmike Plaza 4
1300 East Broad Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Broad Avenue Shopping Center on East Broad Avenue across from the Richmond Plaza Shopping Center in Rockingham, North Carolina. The Plaza Twin Theatres opened in 1977 as Rockingham’s first-ever twin theatre. It was one of two movie houses in the Rockingham area that consisted of the Cinema that was across the street from the Richmond Plaza, and also the Strand Theatre that was located in downtown Rockingham that eventually closed by the mid-1970’s.(which today is the Richmond Community Theatre). The theatre was located on the opposite end of the Broad Avenue Shopping Center that was next door to a Radio Shack. The entrance consisted of a boxoffice booth and a concession stand that was between the two auditoriums. This was when the Plaza Twin Theatres were under Atlanta-based Martin Theatres Group. Carmike Cinemas acquired the Plaza in 1982 when it was still a twin cinema. By the late-1980’s auditorium one was split down the middle creating two shoebox auditoriums with smaller screens, and by the 1990’s, it expanded from three screens to four screens making it Rockingham’s first multiplex cinema under Carmike Cinemas.
It was renamed the Plaza 4 until its closing in 2002. It was demolished in 2003 to make way for the expansion of the Broad Avenue Shopping Center. At the time of its closing it was the only indoor movie theatre in all of the greater Rockingham/Richmond County area and surrounding areas including the areas of South Carolina and beyond.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater