Old Opera House

204 N. George Street,
Charles Town, WV 25414

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Old Opera House

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The New Opera House was opened on February 11, 1911. Designed by architect Thomas A. Mullett, son of Alfred B. Mullett, who had previously worked as supervising architect to the Treasury.

At some time it was renamed Packette Theatre, but by the 1930’s it was a movie theatre known as the Opera House. It closed as a cinema in the early-1950’s.

Placed on the National Register of Historic Places, today it is known as the Old Opera House, and operates as a community theatre.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 10, 2012 at 11:16 am

Alfred B. Mullett died in 1890. The 1911 Opera House was designed by his son, Thomas A. Mullett, though the firm was apparently still called A. B. Mullett & Company.

Here is a PDF of the NRHP nomination form for the Old Opera House. Among it’s interesting bits of information is the fact that an electric machine for popping corn and toasting peanuts was installed in the Opera House in 1916. This is the earliest instance I’ve yet come across of a theater having popcorn.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on October 10, 2012 at 11:35 am

This webpage article, written for the theater’s centennial, has a picture of the Old Opera House when it was the New Opera House.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on April 28, 2013 at 10:14 am

By 1937, the Opera House was being operated as a movie theater by Pitts' Theatres, who also operated Pitts' Jefferson Theatre in Charles Town, which they had opened in 1932. Both the Opera House and Pitts' Jefferson Theatre appeared on a list of twenty-five houses being operated by Pitts' Theatres in 1949.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater