Buena Park Drive-In
6612 Lincoln Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
This is a story of two separate drive-in theatres which were combined into one.
Located in the Cypress/Buena Park district on what was originally Lincoln Boulevard. The first drive-in at this location, Orange County’s second drive-in after the Orange Drive-In, was opened as the Cina-Car Drive-In (aka Cine-Car Drive-In) which opened May 5, 1949. The Long Beach Press-Telegram noted that it had a capacity for 600 cars. The owners were two ‘Texas’ boys, J.W. & W.W. Montgomery of Long Beach. One of its opening attractions was “Two Guys From Texas”. In 1953 it was renamed Lincoln Drive-In and was listed as a ‘Family Drive-In Theatre’ charging $1.50 a car-load for a second-run double bill program. In February 1962 the Lincoln Drive-In became listed under the Pacific Theatres banner, showing first-run features at an increased admission price. My family often went to this theater in the 1960’s. By 1964 it had stopped charging per person and adopted a "$1.50 per carload" policy which meant that everything you heard in The Beach Boys song "Drive-In" happened there – sneaking a case of beer in the theatre in the trunk, partying in the lot while the movie was playing just like in "Grease", and seeing a lot of classic movies there cheaply.
The Buena Park Drive-In was opened adjacent to the Lincoln Drive-In at 6540 Lincoln Avenue on April 22, 1970 with “2001:A Space Odyssey” and “Ride the High Wind”. It too was operated by Pacific Theatres and had its own entrance, pay box and facilities and was advertised as a twin to the Lincoln Drive-In. Both theatres eventually were known as the Buena Park Drive-In. On June 22, 1984 a third screen was added to the complex. When it closed on July 5, 1993 there had been a drive-in theatre at this located for over 44 years. It was demolished in 1996. A huge housing development was built on the site, with streets named after university’s.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater