60 North Beretania Street ,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The theater was built just outside of Chinatown on a street that no longer exists. One source called Kamanuwai Lane a “congested urban slum”, it was near the corner of Maunakea Street and North Beretania, where the only proof of any buildings from that time period is where the Maunakea Lei stand is.
As for the time period, the Beretania Theatre was build in 1936 or 1937, and by World War II had already started showing adult films. It was purchased by a businessman in 1944, who turned it into “Hawaii’s first burlesque hall” called Beretania Follies. That lasted for at least 20 years.
The original address for the Beretania was 1229 Kamanuwai Lane, but that area was cleared out in the late-1960’s, as Honolulu chose to upgrade the area. The Beretania Theatre would roughly be where the Honolulu Tower condominium is today.
It also seems theatre owners had more issues with the Beretania Theatre as a strip joint than a theatre showing adult films, if some of the documents available online are any indication.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater