Zamboanga Theatre

701 N. King Street,
Honolulu, HI 96817

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The New Palama Theatre was opened April 19, 1930 with William Haines in Navy Blues". It was renamed Zamboanga Theatre on July 3, 1970.

Contributed by Bryan Krefft

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on May 26, 2007 at 2:42 am

Originally the Palama Theatre was located at 569 N. King Street. It opened in 1919 and closed in 1929. It was an open-air theatre operated by Charles Yee Foy.

Consolidated Amusement Co. built a new theatre nearby at 701 N. King Street in 1929. It opened as the New Palama Theatre on 19th April 1930. It was designed in a Chinese style by architect Louis Davis at a cost of $140,000 and seating was provided for 1,500.

It was re-named Zamboanga Theatre in 1970.

LowellAngell
LowellAngell on April 16, 2010 at 9:28 pm

The theatre was leased by Consolidated Amusement to operators from the Phillipines from 1970-74 who renamed it the Zamboanga (after a city and province in the Phillipines) and they showed Filipino films.

After that it was converted to commercial space and leased for many by a printing company. The front arcade with retail space was enclosed by metal roll-up doors and a new large warehouse entrance was made on the side of the building. Inside, the balcony was removed and the floor rake eliminated (although the proscenium/stage area remained and was used for storage, as was the original lobby).

After they left, it was subdivided into two spaces and a church is now in the front half and the back half is commercial space. There is still a very small amount of decorative plaster left inside. The exterior plaster detailing is relatively intact but slowly disintegrating due to the weather and lack of maintenance…and the fact that the building is now 80 years old.

rivest266
rivest266 on March 11, 2017 at 11:25 am

April 19th, 1930 grand opening ad in the photo section and below:

Found on Newspapers.com powered by Newspapers.com

rivest266
rivest266 on March 12, 2017 at 11:39 am

This opened on July 3rd, 1970 as Zamboanga with the movie “Zamboanga”. Grand opening ad in the photo section.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater