Greene Opera House
49-51 Genesee Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Greene Opera House was built around 1890, and was situated on the second and third floors of what now is known as the Municipal Building. The building originally had an impressive front balcony which was dismantled at some point in the early 20th century. Movies were first shown here in 1909, and in 1915 the “Milfred”, the town’s first movie theatre, opened two blocks away.
No official closing date has been uncovered for the old Greene Opera House; once the Milfred Theatre opened it seems to have been used less and less frequently over the years but the interior, including a “U” shaped balcony, was not dismantled until the mid-1940’s. The space has been used in recent years for meetings of the local fire department. Until recently, an old ticket booth and a substantial rear exit staircase survived, but the latter has been removed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater