537 Liverpool Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Ainsdale district of Southport, Merseyside. The Plaza Cinema was opened on 27th January 1928 by the Coliseum (Southport) Ltd. The opening film was “The Flight Commander” starring Sir Alan Cobham. Designed in an Italian Renaissance style by architect George E. Tonge, in association with Felix Holt. The proscenium was 32 feet wide and the stage 18 feet deep. There was one dressing room. The cinema also boasted a ballroom and a cafe, located on the first floor above the entrance, which was flanked by two shop units on each side.
The Plaza Cinema was refurbished in 1951, and was closed on 11th May 1957 with John Mills in “It’s Great to be Young”.
On 11th December 1957 it opened as a nightclub named the Moulin Rouge, and this closed in 1974. Now operated by Mecca Ltd, they re-opened the building as Tiffany’s in January 1975. This closed in March 1981, and the building lay empty and unused until 1987, when it was demolished. A Natterjack bar and grille was built on the site, today operating as a Toby Carvery.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater