No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Coatbridge, an industrial town to the east of Glasgow, North Lanarkshire. The Theatre Royal was opened on 1st September 1875, with a capacity for 2,000. It was designed by Glasgow based architect W.R. Quinton, in an Italian Renaissance style. Seating was provided in orchestra, dress circle and gallery levels, with three boxes on each side of the proscenium. At first it presented dramas and pantomimes.
In January 1907 it was taken over by R.C. Buchanan, who operated a chain of theatres, but it soon gained a bad reputation for its drunken audiences, but things improved when the theatre bars' stopped selling alcohol. From 1910, it held a Cinematograph Licence, and began screening films as part of the programme. In 1919, it began a policy of cine-variety. It was redecorated in 1920.
In 1922, it was taken over by the Stanley Rogers Circuit of variety theatres, and this use continued until May 1938, when it was sold to the Harry Wincour Cinema Circuit, and became a full time cinema. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. The seating capacity had been reduced to 1,000.
In 1956, it was taken over by the Green’s Circuit, but was closed on 9th August 1958. The building lay derelict until 1966, when it was demolished for a road widening scheme.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater