Oude Gracht 73,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Rembrandt Theater was opened on 18th January 1913 with “Memento Mori”. It was closed on 16th May 1919 to enable renovation and enlargement. The architect b. van der Word designed the new facade, which had decorations by architect named Rietbergen. Seating was provided for 1,200 in orchestra and balcony levels. The Rembrandt Theater was re-opened on 29th November 1929.
It was closed again in 1933, to be totally transformed into an Art Deco style cinema, to the plans of architect h. van Vreeswijk. The cinema now boasted a large stage, and regular variety performances were held as part of the programme into the early-1970’s. The seating capacity had been increased to 1,322.
In 1972, the Rembrandt Theater was tripled, with the auditorium in the former balcony seating 458, and the two auditoriums in the former orchestra had a total seating capacity of 864. The conversion took a year to complete, and it re-opened in 1974.
In 1985, the Rembrandt Theater was taken over by the Amsterdam based Tuschinski Group. Later that year they were taken over by the Cannon Group, and in 1991 MGM took control, and the cinema received a facelift, which included new seats and carpets and the sound system was upgraded to DTS Digital. In 1995, Pathe took over and they continue to operate the Rembrandt. With new, larger seats installed the seating capacity is now 822.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater