58 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on the corner of High Street and Silver Street in Bedford, Bedfordshire. The Palace Cinema was a conversion of the Chequers Inn by architectural firm Warner & Felce. It opened on 6th April 1912. It was built for Bedford Palace Ltd, a company formed by the Blake family. It was equipped with a 2Manual straight church type organ.
It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system at the end of July 1930. The first ‘talkies’ screened on 4th August 1930, were Rin Tin Tin and Davey Lee in “Frozen River” and Moore Marriott in “The Flying Scotsman”. On 25th December 1934 the Palace Cinema was taken over by the Granada Theatres chain.
They closed Palace Cinema on 22nd March 1936 with Will Hay in “Boys will be Boys” and “Blue Streak”. It was demolished in May 1936 and shops with offices above, were built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater