43 The Square,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Market Harborough, Leicestershire. A coffee house was built on The Square in 1872, and at its rear was built the Philanthropic Hall, later known as the New Hall.
By 1901, the New Hall was being used for lectures and treatrical events. In April 1901, films were being screened. In 1906, it was converted into a roller skating rink, which operated until around 1911.
In December 1911, it was taken over by United County Picture Halls Ltd. and converted into a cinema, opening on 9th November 1911 as the County Electric Palace. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. It was closed on 10th August 1912, to be modernised and re-named County Cinema. The original coffee house entrance was demolished and a new entrance was built. The stage was 12 feet deep and there were two dressing rooms.
In 1932, it was equipped with a Gyrotone sound system which had previously been installed in the towns' Oriental Cinema. After the outbreak of World War II in September 1939, the County Cinema was requisitioned by the government and was closed and used for storage. After 1945 when the war was over, it was converted into a dance studio, and later became the Embi Club, which hosted concerts by pop stars of the day. The foyer was converted into an antique shop.
In 1968, it was demolished and a Woolworths store was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater