Murphy Art Centre
1043 Virginia Avenue,
3 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Universal Chain Theatrical Enterprises Inc.
Architects: Donald Graham
Previous Names: Granada Theatre
Opened on April 8, 1928, the Granada Theatre, in the heart of Indianapolis' Fountain Square neighborhood. It was built for the Universal Pictures chain.
It featured a facade of reddish-orange brick trimmed in cream-colored terra cotta in austere Neo-Classical style, with a trio of arched windows above the main entrance.
It was the first theater in Indianapolis to screen a foreign sound film, “Tierra Madre”, in 1932.
The Granada Theatre was closed as a movie house on March 11, 1951, and was taken over by the G.C. Murphy Company soon afterwards.
After the Murphy Company closed, the building sat vacant for a while before being acquired by a group of artisans in the 1990’s, who were seeking a place to set up their galleries after moving from the south side of the city.
Since then, the Murphy Art Centre, as the one-time theater is now called, has become a home for both art galleries and retail stores, a thriving example of urban reuse in a once dying area of Indianapolis.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.