120 W. Market Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened as the Lincoln Theatre in the early-1920’s. Seating was listed at 350. The name was changed to the Palace Theatre by 1935. Carolina B. Breeden who was a well known Negro businessman owned the theatre. A business partner, Heber Covington was the general manager of the theatre. The Lincoln/Palace was a Negro theatre.
Mr. Covington, who was born in Clio, S.C. in 1923, recalled that boxing matches were held at the Palace Theatre. Blacks and Whites competed. Blacks and Whites also attended the matches. Whites sat in the balcony and Blacks sat on the ground floor.
The theatre was always popular and contributed to the entertainment of local people as well as people from the surrounding farms. On a typical weekend in the 1920’s and into the 1940’s, the streets in the Gulf were crowded with as many as two hundred people. The Palace Theatre closed sometime in the mid-1950’s. Today, the building is occupied by Marlboro Engineering, Inc.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater