City Theatre

719 Arendell Street,
Morehead City, NC 28557

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

| Street View

The Palace Theatre was opened in 1911. Later renamed City Theatre, it was open in 1945 with seating listed at 450. It was operated by Everett Enterprises until 1955 followed by Stewart and Everett until it closed in 1976 when it was destroyed by fire.

Any additional information on the City Theatre would be appreciated.

Contributed by Chuck

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on August 16, 2013 at 10:12 pm

The city directories from the late 1950s-early 1960s give the address of the City Theatre as 719 Arendell Street. I’m sure they are right.

This photo is the opposite view of the photo showing the theater’s front, and it shows the opposite side of the street in the background, behind the car that the theater is giving away. The building at the end of the block, with the Rex Bakery in it, is still standing, and it’s on the even-numbered side of the street.

The angle shows that the City Theatre must have been on what is now a parking lot immediately west of Raps Grill and Bar, so it has been demolished.

While the building at 702 Arendell Street certainly looks as though it could have been a theater at one time, it was not the City Theatre.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on August 16, 2013 at 10:35 pm

The caption of a photo on page 50 of The Crystal Coast (Google Books preview) says that the City Theatre building was built about 1911, and the house was called the Palace Theatre before becoming the City Theatre. The building was destroyed by a fire in 1976.

The caption of a photo on page 54 of Carteret County, by Linda Sadler and Kevin Jenkins (Google Books preview) give the house the aka Wade Theatre around 1933.

NightHawk1
NightHawk1 on August 16, 2013 at 11:38 pm

The building at 702 Arendell Street was a theater at one time, but was called the Morehead Theatre. It was built by Stewart & Everett circa 1954 to the same design as the Iwo Jima in Jacksonville NC and the Wilrik in Sanford NC. After a new Morehead Theatre (AKA Morehead Twin, listed on CT as Eastern Carolina Showcase Theater) opened at 1309 Arendell Street in 1966 the 702 Arendell theater either closed or was renamed, but it was not the City Theatre. The 702 Arendell theater became a skating rink in the 1970s and was later converted to retail (presently a church).

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater