101 Court Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened on Saturday, May 18, 1907; closed early 1909. It’s not clear whether an “old” Empire Theater preceded this early Nickelodeon (there’s some evidence there was, but the article for the opening doesn’t mention it), but it did not last long, briefly changing its name to “Nickel Theatre” late in its existence, but that name does not seem to have caught on. It advertised “moving pictures and illustrated songs” from the beginning of life until its end. An edition of The Billboard on March 21, 1908 lists the Empire Theater with 200 seats and Alfred Hill as the manager. Programmes were screened continuously.
This otherwise nondescript footnote in Binghamton history may have outlasted its competition in one respect, though; not only does the building (which predates the theater) still stand, but the Nickelodeon facade may yet survive, with a wide arch and ornate design (adorned with two “B”’s — for Binghamton??) gracing the garage door storefront next to 103 Court. Or does the facade date from the occupancy of Brotan’s Store, located at 103 Court in the ‘40s? Who knows…but it certainly looks like a Nickelodeon entrance, and the address is almost identical to the old “new” Empire.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater