715 Main Avenue,
9 people favorited this theater
Located on Main Avenue in Passaic, the New Montauk Theatre opened on January 30, 1924 with Mary Pickford in “Rosita”. There was a full orchestra, and George Emmans from Washington DC was at the console of the $50,000 organ. It was operated by the Fabian Theatres chain.
Later operated by Warner Theatres and Stanley-Warner. It had a great Art Deco style marquee. It was closed as a regular movie theatre in 1974. It soon reopened as an Independently operated adult theatre which remained in the building for almost 30 years. The Montauk Theatre was closed suddenly and without notice in May 2005.
This once proud theatre was in good condition, but sat empty and unused for several years awaiting its fate. Taken over by the city of Passaic, the theatre along with several other buildings on the block were demolished in May 2011, supposedly for new public school to be built on the site. In 2016 it is still a vacant lot!
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater