450 Wabasha Street North,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Starland Theatre was opened in 1912, for both movies and live stage performances. In 1916, it was remodeled, and was one of the major Saint Paul theaters at the time, including the only smoking lounge in the city, uniformed “usherettes”, and a discretely illuminated clock in the auditorium, before wristwatches became commonplace.
In 1921, the theater was remodeled once more, and was renamed the Strand Theatre at this time. Also, a pipe organ was installed, and admission rose from a dime to a quarter.
By 1931, the Strand Theatre was declared structurally unsound, and was torn down, but a new theater of the same name was built on the site, designed in an Art Deco style by architectural firm Liebenberg & Kaplan, which opened in 1933, seating around 800. The new Strand Theatre cost over $75,000 to erect, and included a long, curving canopy marquee which swept around the corner of Wabasha Street North and Eighth Street, where the theater was located, with a two-story tall vertical marquee above, shaped something like an upside-down rocket. Retail shops flanked the Strand Theatre’s main entrance, which originally featured an outdoor ticket booth, with two sets of three doors on either side.
The Strand Theatre continued to operate until 1975, and was demolished about a year later.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater