Roberts Orpheum Theater

416 N. Ninth Street,
St. Louis, MO 63101

Unfavorite 6 people favorited this theater

Roberts Orpheum Theater

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Orpheum Theater first opened on Labor Day 1917. In the Film Daily Yearbook editions 1941-1943, the 2,000-seat theater was listed as (Closed).

Contributed by Paul Salley, Ellen Knittel

Recent comments (view all 21 comments)

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 7, 2006 at 4:28 pm

Here is another photo of the American Theater.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on January 9, 2007 at 11:53 pm

Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985

American Theater *** (added 1985 – Building – #85000617)
416 N. 9th St., St. Louis (Independent City)
Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer: Lansburgh,G. Albert
Architectural Style: Beaux Arts
Area of Significance: Architecture
Period of Significance: 1900-1924
Owner: Private
Historic Function: Recreation And Culture
Historic Sub-function: Theater
Current Function: Recreation And Culture
Current Sub-function: Theater

Lak on November 18, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Does anyone know if the work on the North side exterior archway and balcony have been completed?

DavidZornig on November 18, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Wow, the theatre looks great. Appears they must have done a chemical cleaning of the exterior brickwork during their renovation. The new signage looks sleek too. Updated but not overbearing. Went back to the original name. Nice job!

JAlex on February 5, 2009 at 8:11 pm

The re-do of the carriage entrance is currently on-hold for the arrival of terra cotta from Italy.

JAlex on January 29, 2010 at 6:08 pm

The re-do of the porte cochere on the St. Charles side of the theatre was completed last December.

Lak on March 8, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Any current photos of the resotred carriage entrance?

TLSLOEWS on August 8, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Nice looking theatre.

Brad Smith
Brad Smith on January 8, 2014 at 9:16 pm

This photograph of the Orpheum Theatre was taken by George Mann in 1927.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater