Hoyts Town Theatre
303-305 Pitt Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Hoyts Theatres
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: American Picture Palace, Shell Theatre, Arcadia Theatre, Cameo Theatre, Esquire Theatre
Opened in July 1912 as the American Picture Palace. In August 1919 it was renamed Shell Theatre. In mid-1926 it was re-named Arcadia Theatre and on 10th August 1935 it became the Cameo Theatre. On the 15th February 1946 it was re-named Esquire Theatre, operated by Hoyts Theatres. This was the smallest of Hoyts city theatres. It became Hoyts Town Theatre in 1965. Programming was mostly 20th Century Fox second string films. Big star westerns that weren’t expected to do well were booked - films like “Broken Lance”, “Warlock”, “Track of the Cat”, and oddball films like “Modesty Blaise”.
Like the nearby Palace Theatre the Hoyts Town Theatre had a small CinemaScope screen that didn’t do justice to outdoor sagas. As the Hoyts Town Theatre it tried to go upscale with some foreign titles that would have gone to the Paris Theatre, now a home for blockbusters.
In the final years it ran X-Rated fare but closed around 1980 and was demolished for a skyscraper with offices and a shopping arcade.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.