Sierra Madre Playhouse
87 W. Sierra Madre Boulevard,
2 people favorited this theater
Sierra Madre, a town of 11,000, is east of Pasadena and is known as the terminus of the annual Rose Bowl Parade. It probably took on a more eerie element when it became the fictitious burg of Santa Mira for the 1956 classic movie “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”, with its town square and other locales used in the filming.
According to assessor maps, the theatre building dates back to 1910 but it is unknown exactly when it became a movie house. It was named Wisteria Theatre in 1940 and was renamed Sierra Madre Theatre on February 5, 1943. From 1968 to 1971 it was known as the Bogart Theatre. The independent theatre stopped showing movies in 1971 and has been used by the family oriented Sierra Madre Playhouse since 1979. Original seating capacity was for 390, but it is now under the Los Angeles 99-Seat Theatre Plan of Actors Equity. Auditions for the plays are held periodically and acting classes for adults and children are also available. The theater is available to the community for rental.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater