Globe Picture House
17-31 Attercliffe Common,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on Attercliffe Common at the junction with Fell Road. The Globe Picture Hall was a venture of the Sheffield Picture Palace Co. Ltd. It opened on 10th February 1913 and was, at that time, one of the largest cinemas in Sheffield. The architects were Benton & Roberts. The owning company reformed on 21st March 1914 as the Sheffield & District Cinematograph Theatres Ltd. and remained owners until closure on 29th June 1959.
The Globe Picture House was demolished. The Amberley Garage now (in 2014) occupies the site.
The Kinematograph Year Book for 1914 lists only “Globe Picture Hall, Attercliffe”. KYB 1928 has name as “Globe Picture House” and the owners as Sheffield & District Cinematograph Theatres Ltd. of 18 York Street, Sheffield, where the films were booked.
KYB 1931 adds the fact that British Acoustic (BA) sound has been installed. This changed to “Cinephone” in KYB 1935 which also noted that the owners had moved office to 3 Hartshead. Also, for the first time, capacity is mentioned. It was 1,000 but it rose to 1,700 in KYB 1937 when the sound system was back to BA. KYBs 1942, 1945 and 1947 carry the same information as 1937.
In KYB 1950 and 1954 the capacity is down to 1,380. No KYB listing mentions anything about the dimensions of the proscenium, stage or screen, nor about dressing rooms.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater