26 Senhouse Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Maryport, Cumbria. The building on the corner of Senhouse Street and High Street was originally built in the 1830’s as a bank. In January 1934, it was converted into the Carlton Cinema, by adding a 640-seat auditorium at the rear on High Street. The operators were the Graves Brothers.
The Carlton Cinema was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system around 1929, and in 1955 it was equipped with CinemaScope. It was closed in June 1962, and converted into a bingo club. This had closed by 1993.
The building was purchased by the Civic Society and soon after was damaged by a fire. In 1998, money from the National Lottery helped fund a restoration of the building. By 2002, there was talk of it being converted into a nightclub, but this never happened. The building was still empty and unused in 2005. In 2008, plans were proposed for it to be converted into a ceramics factory, with a gift shop and café in the former foyer. This opened in May 2009 and closed in 2013. The empty building was put up ‘For Sale’ in 2014, with planning permission granted to convert into flats..
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater