Uptown Theatre

103 W. Franklin Street,
Clinton, MO 64735

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Opened as the Bixman Theatre on October 20, 1903. Originally a live theatre, by 1914 it had gone over to movies. In 1924 & 1925 it reverted back to live theatre use. In 1925 it was renamed Clinton Theatre and was screening movies again. It was renamed the Uptown Theatre in 1937. On July 11, 1946 it was destroyed by a fire. A Sears & Roebuck store was built on the site.

Contributed by Chris1982

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on September 5, 2014 at 1:50 pm

The Uptown Theatre was destroyed by a fire in 1946 and replaced with anew house the following year. The January 10, 1947, issue of the The Film Daily ran this item:

“In Clinton, Mo., Frank Woodruff & Son, general contractors, are pushing construction of the new Uptown theater being erected by J. T. Goshen, of Sedalia, Mo. as a replacement for his theater destroyed by fire July 11… . New house will be a 700-seater.”
(The correct name of the owner was John T. Ghosen, not Goshen.) The May 16, 1947, issue of the Daily had this follow-up item:
“Clinton — F. W. Woodruff & Son, general contractors for the new theater being erected here for J. T. Goshen, who also operates the Uptown Theater in Sedalia, Mo., are receiving bids from sub-contractors for various kinds of work. The house, designed by Robert O. Boller, will cost upwards of $40,000. It will replace a theater destroyed by fire several months ago.”
The July 3 issue of the Daily said that “Aug. 15 has been set as the date for opening of J. T. Ghosen’s new theatre in Clinton, Mo.”

One thing I am wondering is if the Uptown was rebuilt at the same location, or if perhaps the new theater Ghosen had built to replace it was actually the Crest Theatre, which we have listed as the Heartland Community Theatre,opened in 1947? It would have been unusual for a town as small as Clinton to have two new 600+-seat theaters opened in one year as late as 1947, especially since the Lee Theatre was still in operation.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on November 12, 2018 at 4:09 am

ohn N. Bixman opened his Bixman Theatre at 103 West Franklin in downtown Clinton, Missouri on October 20, 1903 with live entertainment. The theatre / opera house initially had 1,100 seats with 700 on the main floor and 400 in the balcony. The theatre switched from live entertainment primarily to films.

In 1925, the Bixman became the Clinton Theatre – a full-time movie theater. On May 29, 1937, the theatre received a $30,000 streamlined makeover. Renamed the New Clinton Theatre with 750 seats and a and a Rainbow Vari-Colored lighting system from Russia, it launched with the film, “Oh Doctor.” Blonde Nu-Wood paneling hid the Bixman’s dated features. On November 11, 1937 a new marquee hailing the new name, the Uptown Theatre was ordered.

On July 11, 1946, the Uptown Theatre was destroyed along with a number of other businesses in a spectacular blaze. Saved was the original 1903 cornerstone which had a time capsule with many great artifacts from the 1903 time period. It was replaced by a new building housing Sears & Roebuck.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater