2300-2302 Grays Ferry Avenue,
3 people favorited this theater
The Owl Theatre was designed by Philadelphia architect and engineer Mahlon H. Dickinson II and opened in 1913. Remodeled in 1923, the theater closed in 1928.
The two story high arch on the facade which survives, faced the Grays Ferry Avenue side of the Owl Theatre. The auditorium was angled to the right of the entrance area necessitated by the irregular shape of the lot, and so went towards South Street. At least from 1967 until recent years, Newman Gallery, a prestige art gallery whose retail showroom until 2016 was at 1625 Walnut Street, used the building as a restoration studio. In 2014, the local community organization opposed plans for a 5-story building that would have replaced the Owl Theatre building. In 2018 the same developer is renovating the ground floor for two retail units, and extending the mezzanine (which perhaps was a balcony) to create a second floor.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater