New Globe Theatre

424 Court Street,
Savannah, MO 64485

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

New Globe Theatre

The Tivoli Theatre opened in fall of 1937. In 1938 it was renamed New Globe Theatre following alterations by architect Jerome Crowley. It was destroyed by fire in 1943.

It was rebuilt as the New Globe Theatre which opened in November 1946. The architect for the New Globe Theatre was Robert O. Boller of the Boller Brothers Architects out of Kansas City. The New Globe Theatre was still listed as open in the early-1960’s.

Contributed by Chris1982

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on August 22, 2016 at 6:31 pm

The (New) New Globe Theatre was the fourth and final Globe location in Savannah and launched in November of 1946. The (New) New Globe was necessitated after the original New Globe Theatre burned down during World War II in 1943. War material shortages forced owner M.B. “Doc” Presley to use a converted church as the temporary replacement for his New Globe.

Once the war ended, the new theatre was built in 1946 becoming the longest running of the four Globe locations.

Fred Hartley opened the original Globe Theatre on April 20, 1914. The small town got a second theatre from Clarence E. Cook and V.O. Moore who announce the Tivoli Theatre in 1936 which opened in the Fall of 1937. The town struggled to keep both operations going so Presley purchased the Tivoli Theatre from Cook & Moore. A week later, the Tivoli became the New Globe Theatre ending the short run of the Tivoli. From there it was fire gutting the theatre, moving to a church, and on to this fourth and final Globe location.

SethG
SethG on March 15, 2019 at 9:21 pm

Theater building is still there, with a very ugly fa├žade which might be from around 1960-70. It appears to be a doctor’s office.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater