New Globe Theatre

424 Court Street,
Savannah, MO 64485

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 2 comments

SethG
SethG on March 15, 2019 at 9:21 pm

Theater building is still there, with a very ugly fa├žade which might be from around 1960-70. It appears to be a doctor’s office.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on August 22, 2016 at 6:31 pm

The (New) New Globe Theatre was the fourth and final Globe location in Savannah and launched in November of 1946. The (New) New Globe was necessitated after the original New Globe Theatre burned down during World War II in 1943. War material shortages forced owner M.B. “Doc” Presley to use a converted church as the temporary replacement for his New Globe.

Once the war ended, the new theatre was built in 1946 becoming the longest running of the four Globe locations.

Fred Hartley opened the original Globe Theatre on April 20, 1914. The small town got a second theatre from Clarence E. Cook and V.O. Moore who announce the Tivoli Theatre in 1936 which opened in the Fall of 1937. The town struggled to keep both operations going so Presley purchased the Tivoli Theatre from Cook & Moore. A week later, the Tivoli became the New Globe Theatre ending the short run of the Tivoli. From there it was fire gutting the theatre, moving to a church, and on to this fourth and final Globe location.