Jacey Film Theatre
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Liverpool city centre. The Picture House was built on the site of the Prince of Wales Theatre. It opened on 25th November 1912. It was built for the Provincial Cinematograph Theatres(PCT) chain and designed by architect George L. Alexander in a Neo-Classical style. Seating was provided for 700 in stalls and circle levels. In April 1914 PCT re-named it Prince of Wales Cinema, and they operated it until 1923. It was taken over by Savoy Cinemas, a subsidiary of Associated British Cinemas(ABC). It was equipped with a British Thomson Houston(BTH) sound system and screened its first ‘talkie’ “The Trial of Mary Duggan” starring Norma Shearer on 30th September 1929. In May 1933 it passed to the Regent Circuit, another subsidiary of ABC, finally coming back to ABC control until February 1936, when an independent operator took over.
In 1946 the Prince of Wales Cinema was closed for alterations, and was taken over by the Jacey Cinemas circuit. It re-opened as the News Theatre on 17th December 1946 with a reduced seating capacity for 561.
It was taken over by Kenneth Rive’s Gala Films and re-named Gala International Film Theatre from 20th September 1962 with Jeanne Moreau in “Les Laisons Dangereuses” and “Street of Shame” and continued playing (mainly) X-Certificate foreign films. In September 1963 it was taken back by Jacey Cinemas and re-named Jacey Film Theatre. It closed on 7th July 1972 with “Don’t Deliver Us From Evil” and “The Subject Is Sex”. The building was then converted into the Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament Church. It was demolished in 1986 in a redevelopment which included the new Clayton Square Shopping Centre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater