583 Peachtree Street,
3 people favorited this theater
The Erlanger Theatre opened December 27, 1926 as a live 1,790 seat playhouse with “Earl Carroll’s Vanities” featuring a cast of 100. It had a large stage and four floors of backstage dressing rooms. There were 672 seats on the main level, 190 in the first balcony, and 928 in the second balcony. By 1950 it had been renamed Tower Theatre and was operating as a movie theatre.
Sometime around the late-1950’s, the Martin Theatres chain took over and completely rebuilt the inside to the plans of architectural firm Finch, Alexander, Barnes, Rothschild & Paschel. On October 3, 1962 it became the Martin Cinerama Theatre, equipped with the 3-strip system and opening with “The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm”. Later two 70mm projectors were installed.
It was taken over by Walter Reade in 1968. It was later taken over by Weis Theatres and was re-named Atlanta Theatre until they closed it in the late-1970’s. In 1982 it was taken over by an independent operator and reopened as the Columbia Theatre on June 18, 1982, closing in 1987.
By then the building was owned by the North Avenue Presbyterian Chuch located next door, and they demolished the theatre in 1995 to build a parking lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater