Aspley Picture House
418 Nuthall Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the northwest Nottingham district of Aspley on the corner of Nuthall Road and Bar Lane. The Aspley Picture House was opened on 1st December 1932 with Marlene Dietrich in “Shanghai Express”. The proscenium was 56 feet wide and the stage 25 feet deep. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. It presented films and variety shows. On each side of the proscenium on the splay walls were a panel containing paintings, each depicting a scenic country view.
In 1953, the Aspley Picture House was the first cinema in Nottingham to fit a ‘Panoramic’ wide-screen which was advertised as the largest screen outside London, and came into its own when CinemaScope was installed in 1954.
New owners took over on 10th August 1956 and it was re-named Commodore Cinema, but this was not to last long as it closed on 13th July 1958 with Lawrence Harvey in “Silent Enemy” and Dale Robertson in “Tall Trouble”. The building was converted into a cabaret club named Commodore International, which operated into the 1990’s. It was demolished in the 2000’s and a Sainsbury’s Supermarket was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater