Calvin Opera House
311 Elm Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Opened September 5, 1909. The first movie seen at the Calvin Theatre was on September 17, 1909 after two weeks of live entertainment.
The designer of the building was E.C. Little. He was the architectual supervisor of the erection of the Missouri State Building for the 1904 World’s Fair. This was a 900 seat Theatre. The Calvin Theatre has gone through a lot over it’s years of business. Commonwealth Amusement ran the Calvin Theatre from the early-1930’s through 1983. In 1983 it was purchased by Mr. & Mrs. George McLean who also owned the theatre in Sullivan, Mo. They planned to restore the theatre to it’s opera-house appearance with some success.
The theatre’s present owner lives upstairs of the theatre and continues the Calvin’s bluegrass concert series and a few movie screenings. It had closed by April 2014. In November 2016 the marquee & sign was removed from the front of the building due to a possibility of its collapse.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater