Visalia Fox Theatre
308 West Main Street,
7 people favorited this theater
Built at the beginning of the Great Depression, the Fox Theatre in Visalia was a smaller version of its more grandiose cousins in cities like Los Angeles. It opened on February 27, 1930 with George O'Brien in “Lone Star Ranger” and Laurel & Hardy in “Night Owls”. It was equipped with a Robert Morton 2 Manual pipe organ, which came from a theatre in Los Angeles.
The Robert Morton organ was sold and removed from the building in August 1956. In an attempt to increase business, the Fox Theatre was triplexed in 1976. The Fox Theatre continued to show movies for the next 20 years but with the 1996 opening of a twelve-screen megaplex at a nearby mall, the beleaguered Visalia Fox Theatre shut its doors after sixty-six magical years, on November 7, 1996 with “A Long Kiss Goodbye”
Soon after, The Friends of the Fox took over the theatre and it was returned to a single screen auditorium. They have renovated the theatre and raised money for its rebirth as a community and performing arts center. It reopened on November 20, 1999 with composer/pianist Marvin Hamlish appearing on stage.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater