Mission Theatre

4258 S. Broadway,
Los Angeles, CA 90037

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

| Street View

This theatre opened in 1913. The Mission Theatre was one of many independent theatres that once was part of the South Broadway movie district. It is listed as operating into 1950 but has gone from listings by 1952.

Contributed by William Gabel

Recent comments (view all 8 comments)

MagicLantern
MagicLantern on June 10, 2004 at 11:34 am

Very likely demolished, the estimable establishment of E&G Sewing resides here, possibly haunted by the happiness of all those people enjoying a day at The Mission…

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 21, 2005 at 4:07 pm

Does anyone know if the Mission Theater in San Diego is listed here under another name? This picture is from the San Diego Historical Society:

View link

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 10, 2007 at 7:59 pm

Not demolished. The theater and the adjacent Mission Hotel were probably built at the same time. The hotel is now a church. The theater is DEG Sewing. Status should be closed.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 11, 2007 at 10:56 pm

Listed at 4260 Moneta in the city directory of 1914:
http://tinyurl.com/2m5dq2

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 22, 2007 at 10:33 pm

Assessors information on this building provides a 1913 construction date. Definitely not demolished.

For those curious, the City Planning Department report on the adjacent property (4250-4254 S. Broadway, plus 270 W. 42nd Place) describes that building (the Mission Hotel mentioned by ken mc in his comment of June 10, 2007) as a store-residential combination built in 1911.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on March 27, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Here is the announcement of plans for the Mission Theatre in the September 21, 1912, issue of Southwest Contractor & Manufacturer:

“MOVING PICTURE THEATER—Clyde J. Cheney, 727 Story Bldg, is preparing plans for a l-story brick moving picture theater to be built on Moneta Ave. between Fortysecond Place and Forty-third St. for George E. Van Guysling. It will contain an auditorium seating 620 and two small store rooms. Dimensions 50x120 ft.; plastered front with glazed tile trim. composition roof, steel beams, tile and marble lobby, plate and prism glass store fronts.”
Oddly, no theater is listed at the Mission’s address in the 1915 city directory, and in the 1917 directory it is listed under the name Darnell, R. E., presumably the name of the owner or operator of the house. It is finally listed as the Mission Theatre in the 1918 directory. Directories from 1913, 1914, and 1916 are not available.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater