147 King Street,
1 person favorited this theater
In Fenton, one of the six Pottery towns collectively known as Stoke-on-Trent, the New Plaza Picture Playhouse was opened in 1910. It was listed in the 1932 Kinematograph Year Book, although on Market Street, before the road was renamed King Street.
In 1940 the New Plaza Picture Playhouse had 550 seats, a proscenium 35ft wide, a 20ft deep stage and two dressing rooms.
In the 1953 edition, the by now renamed Plaza Cinema was listed with 600 seats.
The cinema survived into the 1980’s. In the 1980 ‘Cinema Directory’ published by the Cinema Theatre Association, the Plaza Cinema, now listed as King Street (and with the same [albeit updated] telephone number as in 1953), seated just 324, no doubt as a result of modernisation and the installation of better spaced seating. At this time it was owned by Broadway Entertainments Ltd.
The Plaza Cinema closed 9th January 1982 with Neil Diamond in “The Jazz Singer” and Dustin Hoffman in “Kramer Versus Kramer”. It became a Riley’s Snooker Club in 1985. In 2009 Javed Iqbal, a taxi driver, and Michael Davies, an electrical design engineer, re-opened the building as The Plaza Snooker and Pool Club.
In a nice nod, the current owners deliberately named their club the Plaza to recall the building’s original purpose.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater