2 Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Picture House in Lennoxtown, East Dunbartonshire, to the north of Glasgow, is listed in the Scottish Cinemas database. However, it is not listed in the Kinematograph Year Books for 1914, 1931, 1940 and 1953 and the history of the Campsie Memorial Hall, in which the Picture House was housed, suggests that cinema use was, at best, part-time.
On 20th January 1866, a public meeting was held in Field Park to discuss the erection of a Public Hall for Lennoxtown. A private company was set up to raise the money by subscription, via 10/– shares. The hall was built and opened, probably in 1868, by Mr Hanbury Lennox. The Campsie Public Hall could accommodate 600 persons, and included a library and reading room.
The hall was kept going by the Hall Company until 1954. Ownership of the hall was taken over by the Campsie and Baldernock District of Stirling County Council in 1954. Local councillor and JP, Mr James Friel applied for authority to borrow £7,000 for the reconstruction and re-decoration of the hall. This was a substantial amount of funding, but the hall needed extensive re-development to meet modern needs and standards. The decision was made to fund these works. In memory of the war dead, the hall was re-named Campsie Memorial Hall.
The Hall has remained in local authority ownership since 1954.
Hopefully another contributor can provide more information about film shows at this hall.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater