2308 Ponce De Leon Boulevard,
No one has favorited this theater yet
In the Coral Gables Museum, a display on the back wall of the permanent exhibit “Creating the Dream: George E. Merrick and His Vision for Coral Gables” about the founding of the City of Coral Gables says the city’s first cinema was the Dream Theater, an open air/outdoor movie theater “reminiscent of a Spanish bullring” near the corner of Ponce De Leon Boulevard and Giralda Avenue.
The opening night film on Saturday, October 16th, 1926 was “The Eagle”(1925) starring Rudolph Valentino.
In 2016 there is a parking lot for Bank of America on the site of the auditorium. According to local historian Dr. Paul George, the short tower-like structure above the drive-thru at the rear of the building with two small windows one above the other was probably the projection booth. The windows overlook the parking lot behind the bank, which would be where the seating and screen had been, with the screen facing Ponce de Leon Boulevard. A staircase leading from Giralda Avenue up to the projection booth is still on the side of the building.
The rest of the structure that currently houses the bank and a French bakery may have been added on sometime after the theater closed due to the Great Depression.
The display in the Coral Gables Museum includes a Spanish-style depiction of a man on a horse which may have been the theater’s logo, the image of a newspaper advertisement for opening night, a replica of the poster for the opening night film, and a television screen with scenes from the film playing on a continuous loop.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater