Water Street and Jackson Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Biemiller Opera House, Neilsen Opera House, Himmelein Opera House, Grand Theater
Located at the corner of Water Street and Jackson Street. Built as a Opera House in 1877 by Andres Biemiller. It was first know as the Biemiller Opera House which opened on June 6, 1877 and seated 1,500. In May 1905, the building was purchased by Carl Neilsen who remodeled the Opera House and changed its name to Neilsen Opera House. John A. Himmelein acquired the building in 1906 and changed the name to Himmelein Opera House. Between 1907 and 1908 it was know as the Grand Theater.
By 1908, the name was changed to Sandusky Theater, after the building was leased to O.S.Hathaway. The Seitz Amusement Co. leased the building in 1936 to show motion pictures and the seating capacity was reduced to 800. They bought it in 1950 and sold it four years later. The building was razed in 1955.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.