Loew's Canal Theatre
31 Canal Street,
21 people favorited this theater
Not much is known about this aging relic dating from September 1927, which is located on the far eastern end of Canal Street.
The theatre is entered through a narrow entrance on Canal Street, which leads towards a large auditorium whose west wall is shared with a side street. It was equipped with a Wurltzer 3 manual organ.
The theatre was opened and operated by Loew’s Theatres, until the 1960’s. Then, it became an ‘indie’ before it closed circa 1979-1980. Structurally, the theatre appears to be in good shape. Exterior staircases on the side street are still present. Additionally, while shuttered, the theatre auditorium has not yet been converted to retail space, only the entance & lobby were converted into an electronics store which operated for many years.
In 2010, hope was raised for the possible renovation of the long shuttered Loew’s Canal Theatre when the building’s current owners supported an effort by the Committee to Revitalize and Enrich the Arts and Tomorrow’s Economy(CREATE) to conduct a feasibility study for the conversion of the Canal Theatre into a multipurpose performance arts center. The group received $150,000 from the city for a feasibility study and $140.00 for additional studies.
Also that year, the facade of the lobby portion of the building was declared a city landmark. The auditorium was reported to be in remarkably good shape, with most of the decor intact.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater