221-223 Market Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
As nickelodeons were giving way to larger movie theatres, Athens George & A.G. Burket ran the Lyric Theatre at 225 Market Street and was under competition from Silverman Brothers' Pastime Photoplays across the street at 224 Market Street. Athens George & A.G. Burket went all in on a larger theatre whose outline could still be seen in the 21st Century at 221-223 Market Street with the Victoria Theatre.
The Victoria Theatre was a $100,000 house opening with a soft launch on May 25, 1911 and a formal open on June 10, 1911. The theatre converted to sound and got an Art Deco exterior facelift operating until 1939. The M.L. Green department store chain purchased the building retrofitting the space to a Green’s store.
As of 2016, a CVS drug store is in the spot of the former Victoria with its “G” on either side standing for the M.L. Green store that once also occupied the building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater