908 Indiana Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Publix Theaters Corporation
The Wichita Daily Times noted that the Olympic Theatre opened July 1, 1920, with Mary Pickford in “Suds". It was equipped with a pipe organ. In 1926 a Reuter 3 manual 7 ranks organ was installed. Despite having just installed sound in June 1929, Publix Theaters closed it in the fall of 1929. With a remodeled modern façade and interior, the former Olympic Theatre opened as a Lerner store in August 1930.
In 1969, Glenn Shelton, Times columnist, paid a visit to the building while it was being remodeled for Texas State Optical. With a clue from a carpenter, he climbed into an opening in the raised floor and found a trove old movie posters mixed with construction debris. The building still exists, with some modifications, so there may still be old treasures under the floor.
Film Daily Year Book 1925 lists the Olympic Theatre with 1,000 seats.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.