No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Worksop, Nottinghamshire. Built in 1875 as a multi-purpose hall, it was converted into the Criterion Theatre in 1908 when a stage and flytower were added to the building. Some films were screened as part of the variety programme. In 1909 it was re-named Gaiety Theatre which closed in March 1911 to be refurbished and renovated. It re-opened as the Gaiety Picturedrome on 10th April 1911. Seating was provided for 750 in stalls, dress circle & pit and there were standing spaces for 150 persons. The proscenium was 18ft wide.
It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system and screened its first ‘talkie" “Hollywood Revue” on 5th May 1930. The seating capacity had been reduced to 600.
In 1954 it was taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain and they closed it on 30th October 1954 to be modernised and equipped with CinemaScope. It re-opened as the Gaiety Cinema on 8th November 1954 with Humphrey Bogart and Audrey Hepburn in “Sabrina Fair”. The Gaiety Cinema was closed on 28th July 1962 with Chuck Connors in “Geronimo” and Dale Robertson in “Dakota Incitdend”. It was converted into a Star Bingo Club, later becoming the Gaiety Casino.
This closed in the 1980’s and the building was sold to be converted into retail use. The frontage façade and the interior were altered and it had become a Poundland discount store by 1991. The outer walls and stage house and fly tower remain.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater