34750 Woodward Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: United Detroit Theaters
Architects: Lavern R. Bennett, Eugene D. Straight
Firms: Bennett & Straight
Styles: Streamline Moderne
The Bloomfield Theatre was the third theatre to be built in Birmingham. The Bloomfield Theatre was constructed on the east side of Woodward Avenue a short distance south of Brown Street. It opened in 1941, with seating provided for 957, all located on a single floor.
Unlike the Kunsky Theatre, Birmingham, the Bloomfield Theatre was strictly a movie house. It lacked both the large, deep stage of its predecessor as well as dressing rooms for vaudeville performances or actors which might appear from time to time at the older theatre. It was also somewhat smaller. On October 23, 1981 it was converted into two screens. It was closed in November 1983.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 3 comments)
A gas station now occupies the theater’s former location. This is an item from Boxoffice magazine in January 1960:
Keith Musser moved from the Bloomfield to the Birmingham, and Alan Teicher, assistant at the Palms, was upped to manager of the Bloomfield. No replacement was made at the Palms, supervisor Gil Green reports.
Two screens on October 23rd, 1981, and closed in November 1983
The Bloomfield hosted the premiere of Anne of the Thousand Days on March 11, 1970. By 1970, most movies were opening at multiple locations in the Detroit area, but the Bloomfield got to exclusively premiere this movie. Ad in Photos section.