Nob Hill Theatre
950 California Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The Nob Hill Theatre (no relation to the present day Nob Hill Theatre on Bush Street) opened in the Fairmont Hotel on October 20, 1944, with Jennifer Jones in “The Song of Bernadette”. It was a comfortably appointed, intimate little theatre designed to cater to both the permanent and transient residents of San Francisco’s exclusive Nob Hill district.
An unusual aspect of the theatre’s operation was that it used rear-view projection, in which the projectors running the film are actually behind the screen and the image is cast on the translucent screen from the rear.
For twenty years, the Nob Hill was a fixture on the South side of the Fairmont Hotel, facing California Street, and its modest facade can be found in the background of many photos of the era depicting the cable cars which ran past its front door. By the mid-1960’s the Hotel found the theatre no longer profitable, shut it down on October 27, 1964, and converted its former space into a restaurant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater